Monday, April 8, 2013

It's supposed to be cheesy, It's a love song!

Sometimes it is hard for my friends to understand the changes I've made in my life.  I just try to make sure they know I love them and want to be around them.  In my opinion, God would not want me to drop my friends because they have different beliefs or have the same beliefs but do not go to church.  I have amazing friends even though we are all very different.  We have great respect for one another and are open to talking about the more difficult things like religion.  I think this builds stronger friendships.  When they have questions, I am open to talking about anything.  I should not have been surprised when my friends asked me if I was only going to listen to Christian music now.  I said no and she said "Good, because it's pretty cheesy."  I, without really thinking, said "Yeah, some of it kinda is."  That was the wrong response.  I should have taken a moment to think about how I really feel about Christian music.  This is what I should have said.
  
Remember the first inkling of love when you were a teenager?  I do.  All of those feelings being felt for the very first time.  It had a serious impact on my CD rotation.  I listened to every sappy love song you could imagine.  The same when my heart was broken for the first time.  I listened to any sad song I could get my hands on.  It's hard to explain.  For me, those songs made the feeling more intense for me.  However, to feel those emotions, you had to be in love.  Those songs mean more to you when you are experiencing love.  Even today, I get emotional when a song makes me think of my husband and how much I love him.  Every woman wants to be told she is beautiful and every man wants to know he is the best.  That is what Christian songs are, love songs.  You will not feel the same feelings when you hear them unless you are in love with God/Jesus.  It is experiencing the feelings that make those cheesy love songs more than just cheesy love songs.  They become the truth about how you feel, and a way to put what you are feeling into words.  They are a way to say I love you and you mean everything to me.  The verdict is... I may not only listen to Christian music, but loving the Lord has a serious impact on my playlist these days.


Here is one of those cheesy love songs and hopefully you can experience the same emotions I do when I hear it.  
Love, E.

     

1 comment:

  1. You and Mike are great people. Amanda and I are very glad to have you in our lives. I have no doubt that my personal beliefs will never get in the way of our friendship. Case in point, I tried to get into the church thing for a while, more for others than myself, but it just isn't who I am. In my adult life, it just never really has been. As long as you've known me, I'm sure you're aware that I'm not a religious person. So it probably didn't come as a surprise to you that I didn't continue going to church. But despite that, you and Mike never badgered me about that. I think you may have asked if we were coming back once and then left it alone. I have the utmost respect for you two for that and I will never have a bad thing to say about either one of you. It takes all kinds to make the world a great place. You two have found a lifestyle that gives you purpose and brings you peace and you don't expect that everyone else should have that same lifestyle. Nothing but love on this end!

    ReplyDelete