Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Holy Guacamole!  It has been a while since I've been so excited about a band.  For the last three days I have listen to nothing but Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls.  Every time I listen to a song, no matter if it was the 1st time or the 10th time, I say "Whoa!  That was so freaking cool!"  The band has some groovy make-you-wanna-dance tunes, jump-up-and-rock-out tunes, and even some closed-eyes-swaying-back-and-forth tunes.  Super cool front chic, Brittney Howard, is the band's slam dunk. With a voice that is out of this world, she bears her soul.  She even screams out lyrics as if the words were out of her control.  So beautiful and crazy at the same time.  After listening to the album through a few times, I tried to figure out who she sounds like.  Most people would put her in the ever growing Janis category (thumbs down).  Don't get me wrong, I love Janis but if you are a female singer with a rough voice that is the category you get stuffed into.  It's not relevant any more, there is too many people on that wagon!  She actually reminds me of a more male rock voice like Robert Plant.  Listen to "Heartbreaker", you'll get it.  She may be my new favorite female voice of all time.  Oh yeah, she's that fantastic.  That voice is legendary and could put her in a category of the greatest rock, blues and soul singers of all time.  I can't believe more people aren't listening to this band!  Here's the recipe... Put Robert Plant, Classic Rock, Blues, and Soul Music, with dash of Etta James in a blender and you've got yourself some Alabama Shakes.

Favorite Tracks: All of them.  Start at the beginning with "Hold On" and you'll be hooked.  By the time you get to the bonus track "Heavy Chevy" you'll be out of your seat dancing around.      

No comments:

Post a Comment